And we’re back – older, wiser, stronger…
The Retrochallenge 2014 Winter Warmup competition will run between January 1st to 31st 2014. Entry is now open!
Please email mark at wickensonline dot co dot uk with your name (or handle) a brief synopsis of your project and a URL for your blog.
In a nutshell, the RetroChallenge is a loosely disorganised gathering of RetroComputing enthusiasts who collectively do stuff with old computers for a month.
The event is very much open to interpretation… individuals set there own challenges, which can range from programming to multimedia work; hardware restoration to exploring legacy networking… or just plain dicking around. It really doesn’t matter what you do, just so long as you do it.
While the RetroChallenge has its competitive side, it’s not really a contest… it’s more like global thermonuclear war — everyone can play, but nobody really wins.
- RetroChallenge commences 1st January 2014 and runs until 31st January 2014.
- In order to qualify, computer systems must by approximately 10 years old (or older!) however exceptions will always be made for exotica!
- Gaming consoles and PDAs qualify if they were made in the previous century.
- Where appropriate, replica hardware and emulators may be used.
- Entrants are responsible for adequately documenting their projects and submitting occasional updates during the contest.
- Projects may encompass any aspect of retro-computing that tickles the fancy of the individual entrant.
- Winners will be carefully selected and thoughtfully chosen prizes presented (hopefully before the next challenge commences).
- Have fun!
For an idea of the kind of thing we get up to, please feel free to browse the previous competition’s websites: